Pilgrims of Hope Education in Emergencies Programme strives to provide quality formal and non-formal education opportunities that meet the needs of girls and boys affected by humanitarian crises.
Education is a fundamental right, yet in times of conflict and disaster it is often significantly disrupted, denying many of girls and boys the opportunity to have a quality, safe education. Schools are, in many instances, occupied by armed groups or used as evacuation shelters, making education impossible.
Keeping Children in School
Education is an urgent priority in emergencies because it:
- saves lives and provides a safe space for children, where they are protected from physical harm, early marriages, prostitution, child labor and being recruited as child soldiers,
- is a key vehicle through which children can learn about preventable diseases, nutrition, hygiene and other life-saving topics
- provides space to teach new skills and values, such as peace, tolerance, conflict resolution, democracy, human rights, environmental conservation and disaster risk reduction
- brings routine, stability, structure and hope to children‘s lives, and improves psychosocial wellbeing
- continues children‘s learning, to ensure bright futures for them, their families, communities and countries.
- Pilgrims of Hope education in emergencies programme strives to provide quality formal and non-formal education opportunities that meet the needs of girls and boys affected by humanitarian crises. Our work has a particular focus on adolescent girls who are among the worst affected by disasters. As part of our work we ensure they receive the emotional support they need to recover from their experiences.
- Our education in emergencies work involves being prepared before an emergency – including teacher training and ensuring buildings/learning spaces are safe. We also implement the programme immediately following an emergency, and through all phases of the response.
- POH has responded to numerous disasters and provides education in emergencies support in conflict-affected regions and states– such as Western Equatoria, Central Equatoria, Jonglei and Eastern Equatoria States of South Sudan.
Pilgrims of Hope observes INEE minimum standards* and Child Protection minimum standards in Emergencies
Gallery: equipping girls at school with knowledge on gbv and support on mother – child care.